First off, Drink when you’re thirsty.
Let that be your rule of thumb. Drink when you’re thirsty.
Sounds easy enough, right? I suggest water because to me it’s King, but that includes Juice and coffee and tea and other beverages, as long as they are liquid. If you stay under 3-5 cups of coffee and caffeinated tea a day, drinking coffee and tea are actually hydrating! It’s mostly water after all.
I shouldn’t have to write this blog really, I mean it should go without saying to drink when you’re thirsty, but I’ve been coming across more and more folks who either don’t listen to what their body is saying, or simply over ride the call for fluids when it comes in.
Here are 5 amazing reasons why you want to stay hydrated that I think may encourage you to pay more attention to the need to heed the call.
- If you feel crappy, usually you are not drinking enough water. Headaches including migraines, constipation, general body pains (especially knee and back pain), insomnia….all of these can be affected even eliminated with proper hydration.
- The more water you drink, the more it helps flush your kidneys– which means you are getting rid of the stuff you don’t want in your body any more. It’s like helping your body get rid of unwanted guests.
- Hydration makes your skin plump…meaning fewer wrinkles and less dry skin. It won’t remove wrinkles…but everyone looks a little better with more life in their face! To help keep moisture in your face use a moisturizer…I recommend OHA.
- You are trying to get to the point every day where you have pale yellow colored urine. That is optimal. If it’s dark with an odor…drink up! If it’s clear…you were over zealous…be careful, it is possible to be Over-hydrated. Though it is rare, it’s side effects are vomiting, confusion and dizziness…but if left untreated can lead to coma…so pay attention to the color!
- Last but not least, it’s my secret trick to weight loss. When I’m hungry and I don’t want to be, I drink a glass of water. If I’m still hungry, then I have a snack. But mostly, I’m not hungry, just thirsty. If you are really trying to lose weight you will want to transition to water from soft drinks and artificially sweetened beverages….(of course in my opinion everyone should do that anyway.)
I also want to mention then when I feel like I’m getting a cold I start pounding fresh water! If I can get really hydrated it usually floats the cold right out of my system!
Convinced? Writing this just made me super thirsty so I’m gonna go grab a glass of water…join me?